Field Trip to Kymer's Canal (14-8-10) led by Byron Huws and
David Priest. Picture taken at Pont Pwll y Llygod.
WELCOME - CROESO
Founded in 1905, the Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society promotes and publishes research into the county's history and archaeology. We also encourage the preservation of local records, antiquities and objects of archaeological interest. Members receive the Society's long-respected journal The Carmarthenshire Antiquary and a monthly online newsletter plus a wide-ranging programme of informative talks, lectures, a themed annual conference and visits to historic places across the county and beyond.
The Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society was founded
in 1905 as a 'field club' and remains so to this day with its
active programme of monthly meetings comprising field days in
the summer and a winter programme of lectures, plus an annual
whole day programme of keynote talks, each year on a different
theme. Collections made by members led to the formation of a
museum which then became the core of the County Museum at Abergwili.
Its prestigious annual publication - Transactions (to
1939) and the Carmarthenshire Antiquary (1941 to present)
- comes free to members and its more than 100 issues provide
an invaluable resource for anyone researching history in the
County. The Society also funds occasional publications;
research projects; an annual prize for schools; and is an active
supporter of all aspects of history and archaeology in the County.
Members to meet at Holy Trinity Church, Pontargothi (SA32 7PA) at 1.30 p.m. in order to share cars before progressing to Alltyferin where we will view and hear of the promontory earthwork and motte and Alltyferin House before returning to view Holy Trinity church.
Latest edition of the The Carmarthenshire Antiquary Just published: This volume includes articles on the links between Carmarthen and Bristol in the later Middle Ages, aspects of the history of Laugharne, the legend of Twm Sion Cati, Sir Thomas Picton, early film shows in Llanelli, the Central Wales and Carmarthen Junction Railway, and throws light on the relationships between tenants and landowners in nineteenth century Carmarthenshire. The publication's cover shows the arms of the Vaughan family, owners of the Derwydd estate.